Monday, April 22, 2013

Salt Lake City Half Marathon

I ran my first half marathon this past weekend.
It was a very emotional week for runners. What happened in Boston is sick and I was heartbroken for those that were injured. It's a sick twisted world we live in.
Monday night my husband asked me if I still wanted to run my half. I said I can't live in fear and it did make me nervous that he was going to be watching me but I still wanted to run.
Friday I picked my my bib and it was a little unorganized and a long line but we got my bib and shirt and looked around at the vendors a little.
Than hubs and I went out to Old Spaghetti Factory to carbo load. We were sat at a table in the bar area and there was a tv on the wall and they were showing the news of the capture of the 2nd bombing suspect. I didn't want to watch it but I could not look away. Finally I forced myself to just enjoy dinner.
After dinner we came and went to be early. The kids were spending the night at my BFFs house so I could get some sleep.
I got a good nights sleep and we left the house at 5:15am. When we parked it was pouring down rain and freezing. We sat in the car until about 6:30 and than headed to the start. It was still raining and freezing. We saw ATF agents, DHS agents, bomb sniffing dogs, and helicopters, and police everywhere. We huddled in the tent with everyone else. Jeremy than left to go get a good spot to watch the start. I lined up right behind the 2:10 pacer. My plan was to follow him as long as I could.
7am they played Sweet Caroline and we were off.
The first 3 miles flew by. It was pouring rain but I warmed up really quick.
At mile 4.5 I ate a gu chomp. I was still right behind the 2:10 pacer.
Than we hit some sharp downhill and sharp up hills. On the second up hill the 2:10 pacer just took off and I fell behind. By mile 6 I had lost sight of the pacer but I was sooooo happy that I had followed him so long.
About mile 7 I started questioning my sanity and wondering why on the earth I was doing this and vowing to never do another one. It was still pouring down rain and I had stepped in a few big puddles.
Mile 8.5 I ate another GU chomp and by mile 10 I found my love for running again. Which is a good thing cause I started to get cold. I was soaked to the bone and my clothes probably weighted 15 extra pounds with all the rain water. But I was doing it. I had not stopped. My body was feeling cold but I was feeling great. I was amazed at my body and the fact that I was going to finish this was an overwhelming since of accomplishment.
About mile 11 I walked about 10 feet thru a water stop and that was the ONLY time I stopped running.
The last mile was hard. I new I was close but it seemed like it was taking forever to see the finish and the rain really started coming down.
Than finally I saw the finish.
I crossed the finish line at 2:16:10.
I was so happy. I as on cloud nine! I was so pleased I ran the whole thing, that my body did it, and I was very pleased with my time.
So soon as I stopped running I started to get really cold. We did not stay at the finish. Jer and I walk around a little bit and than I was so cold and wet I started to shiver. So we went to the car.
I had a huge smile on my face the rest of the day and wore my medal the WHOLE day.

























No comments:

Post a Comment